DeVries Place provides affordable rental homes for low-income seniors while helping to restore the character of an almost forgotten Main Street. DeVries Place artfully integrates new construction with the historic rehabilitation of one of the oldest standing buildings in Milpitas. Originally built in 1915, the Dr. Smith-DeVries House was the home and office of Dr. Rensselaer Smith, the second doctor to reside in the city. The senior community includes beautiful courtyards, a fitness center, theater room, computer room and a rooftop patio with expansive views of the East Bay hills. Winner of many awards including the highly prestigious 2009 Urban Land Institute (ULI) “Award for Excellence,” DeVries Place is commonly recognized as a model for best-practices in development and community revitalization.